Powered by Blogger.

the great dumpster dive

 Sunday, May 29, 2011

So. I mentioned in a previous post that I recently went on my first dumpster diving adventure with one of my pals.


It's ok if you've already stopped reading. I used to cringe at the thought, too.

I suppose I didn't *technically* dumpster dive -- I stood oustide the dumpster and held the bag that we put all our loot into while my friend actually got into the dumpster. I did dig around in the stuff I could reach though.

Can I back up and explain a little? Thanks.

First of all, we are talking about dorm dumpster diving. Not nearly as nasty and icky as you would think, since most of the stuff they throw out is furniture and cleaning supplies and stuff like that. So when you imagine me sifting through bags of rotten food and my friend standing in trash up to her chin with a rotten banana peel draped over her head -- not the case.

Well, and I guess that's really all there is to say. We collected any laundry detergent, fabric softener, floor cleaner, dishwasher gel, shampoo, etc, that we could find, threw it in the bag, wiped it all down with Chlorox wipes when we got back to the house and voila -- cleaning supplies for a good long while that cost us nothing but time and effort. I bet I don't need laundry detergent, body wash, or shampoo for at LEAST six months.

I also got a full-length mirror out of the deal.

It was fun and not against the law and we came out like bandits.

I guess we were sort-of acting like bandits, too, pillaging and whatnot. Totally worth it, though. I highly recommend, just not at our dumpsters.

Hands-off our dumpsters, mister.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 30, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

So like, people throw out containers of that stuff with product still in them? I have nothing against dumpster diving but I would be thinking for large things like furniture and never would have guessed that people would throw out those kind of products if they weren't completely used up. Weird. Kudos on the finds, though!

Hannah Williamson May 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

Yep, they do. I'm sure it's because we were searching in dumpsters on a college campus and they were only taking home what could fit in their cars. If they had leftover detergent and didn't want to take up space in the car, they just chunk it. I'm told dumpsters at apartment complexes have the same sort of finds -- just because people are moving frequently and want to take as little as possible with them. Works for me!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP